Saturday, January 3, 2009

#8: Mondovino (2005)

Buzz: "An Official Selection at the Cannes Film Festival, Jonathan Nossiter's documentary examines the politics of the global wine industry and pits big business against the little guy. Nossiter toured Europe, South America and the United States for interviews with consultants from multinational corporations, "peasant" owners of family-run wineries steeped in tradition, and a variety of industry experts including influential wine critic Robert Parker."

I would much rather have been watching Bottle Shock tonight, but it's not out on DVD yet, and I don't think it came anywhere near me in the theatre. Not that I go out to see movies much, but anyway.

I wasn't thrilled with this -- it came off like a confused POV piece, with barely a coherent point to make for the general anti-Mondavi sentiment. Lots of implications, but not a lot of information for viewers to draw their own conclusions. And terrible dizzying camera work that seemed more interested in pictures on the wall (or crotches -- what was with the constant pan across middles?) than on the subject being interviewed.

As a total novice when it comes to wine, I would have appreciated some additional information in the form of statistics or history (other than from the interview subjects). Particulary if the filmmaker had a point to make -- about Americanization of the wine industry, the power of Parker or Mondavi and their Wal-Mart-ization of the wine industry, or even the conspiracy of marketing and winemaking. But I'm not sure the filmmaker's point really was terribly coherent. And I'm relatively friendly to arguments about big producers or distributors homogenizing products and running roughshod over individualization and quality, but I do have my limits. Let's say Mondavi wines aren't as nuaunced as terroir-centered French wines. Well then, buyers should choose. If people are sheep, then the French need better marketing people. But I'm not sold on an argument about the evils of a mass-producer simply because their product isn't as good (because it never is). I mean, who cares if McDonald's hamburgers don't taste as good as the burgers at my local diner? I prefer something a little more complex, but why should I care that my neighbor likes them? I'm not sure who would enjoy this, other than those who share the filmmaker's general sentiment about the wine business, and are fairly well-informed about the various players. 135 minutes.

8/3

No comments:

Post a Comment